We are seeking an OB Hospitalist to provide on-site, dedicated physician coverage for obstetric patients at Aurora West Allis Medical Center, the busiest Obstetrical unit in Wisconsin with over 3,000 deliveries in 2022.
About this role:
- Full Time is (7) 24-hr shifts per month
- 5 OB Hospitalists in the group, with CNM coverage M-F
- Provide first response to OB urgent situations; manage unexpected obstetrical emergencies such as a obstetrical hemorrhage, prolapsed cord, shoulder dystocia, cesarean hysterectomies and operative deliveries until such time the patient’s attending arrives, or through the course of care as required.
- Provide coverage for laboring patients as requested by the attending clinician if the attending clinician is unavailable, cannot get to the hospital, is in the middle of busy office hours, or has scheduled operative cases
- Staff the OB Emergency Department in accordance with hospital guidelines
- Review all patients on labor and delivery with L&D charge nurse; maintain awareness of status, including labor progress, fetal well-being, and complications of all L&D patients
- Ensure accurate patient handoffs, updates on progress, and clear follow-up plan between OB hospitalists and attending clinicians, patients, nurses, and other health care providers
- Provide first response to emergencies on the postpartum unit
- Serve as the accepting and admitting physician for transfers of OB patients from other hospitals through the Tertiary Access Program (TAP)
- Serve as the admitting team for an unassigned (“no doc”) OB patients
- Work collaboratively with the patients’ attending clinicians, residents (when present), maternal fetal medicine physicians, other consultants and nursing staff regarding patients’ plan of care and treatment.
- Act as surgical assist for c-sections and cesarean hysterectomies to attending ob/gyn physicians upon request and as availability allows accounting for prioritization of duties to care for the most emergent patients.
- Collaborate with all members of the patients’ care team including the patients primary obstetric care provider
- Participate in simulations and drills
About West Allis, WI
City at the Center
West Allis is the right place for anyone that is looking for a highly accessible, central location. They have many terrific, family-friendly neighborhoods, filled with energetic, creative residents and diverse businesses, as well as easy access to some of the most popular attractions in the metro Milwaukee area. A variety of fun-filled activities occur year-round, including Cool Waters Park, the Wisconsin State Fair, frequent farmers markets, and several parks and bike trails.
About Advocate Aurora Health
Advocate Aurora Health’s combined strength and stability drives us forward. Our integrated delivery model allows our clinicians to offer state-of-the-art, top tier quality care throughout eastern Wisconsin and northern and central Illinois.
Our supportive staff and leadership are committed to an autonomous practice environment and continuously strive to be on the forefront of managing the changing healthcare landscape, advances in technology and innovative approaches to providing impeccable outcomes for our patients.
Whether you’re looking to practice in the heart of a dynamic city such as Chicago or Milwaukee, a multi-specialty clinic in the suburbs, or a charming small town, Advocate Aurora Health has an opportunity for you.
Working at Advocate Aurora Health
Advocate Aurora Health is committed to diversity and inclusion every single day and in everything we do. Diversity lives in the differences, great and small, that matter to us and make each of us unique – from our age and the color of our skin, to our abilities and the things we believe in. We know that empowering our differences inspires creativity that leads to innovative solutions – for our team members, consumers and communities. And because health care is built upon relationships, it’s important for the people we serve to be able to trust us to meet their unique needs.
By cultivating an atmosphere of acceptance and compassion, we create a welcoming environment where our patients can heal, our team members can thrive and our business can grow. As a team member, working in a diverse setting allows you the chance to grow in ways that will broaden your perspective to deliver the best possible patient care.